To grind coffee for French press, you will need a coffee grinder and whole coffee beans. Here are the steps to follow:
- Measure out the desired amount of coffee beans. A general rule of thumb is to use about 1 ounce (28 grams) of coffee beans for every 4 ounces (120 milliliters) of water.
- Place the coffee beans in the grinder. Adjust the grinder to the coarse setting, as French press coffee requires a coarser grind than other brewing methods.
- Grind the beans until they reach the desired consistency. The grounds should be about the size of kosher salt.
- Transfer the ground coffee to your French press.
- Follow the steps for brewing French press coffee, adding hot water and allowing the coffee to steep for four minutes before pressing the plunger down to separate the grounds from the brewed coffee.
Note: It is important to use a coarse grind for French press coffee, as a finer grind will result in over-extraction and a bitter taste.