Tanzania is the world’s 19th largest producer of coffee. In fact, in 2006 Tanzania produced over 55 million pounds of coffee beans. Coffee was first introduced in Tanzania in the 16th century – that’s long before many countries saw the beans hit their shores. They were first used as a stimulant, rather than a brew, for the Haya tribe. Then it began to be used as currency. After the Germans colonized the country, coffee began to be cultivated as a cash crop. Between 1905 and 192 the export production of coffee increased three times. After WWII, the British took over the country and began a program that planted over ten million coffee seeds.
Today, about 70 percent of the coffee produced in Tanzania is Arabica and are grown only in high latitude regions such as Mt.Kilimanjaro. The remaining 30 percent are typically Robusta, and are grown near Lake Victoria. The highest grades that can be produced from these crops are Arusha, Moshi, and Kilimanjaro. The coffee’s have a pretty distinctive acidity throughout, and consist of a medium to full body and a rich flavor. The cup profiles can often boast a zesty and really clean cup.
Key Tanzanian Coffee Profile Notes
Varietals: Arabica and Robusta
Grow Regions: Lake Victoria and Mt.Kilimanjaro
Growing Altitude: Between 800 and 1700 Meters
Processes: Wet and Dry
General Cup Profile: Medium to bold, zesty, clean
Production Amount: 55 million lbs.